My name is Carolyn Ayala, and I work as an RSP teacher at Luther Burbank Highschool in the SCUSD. Without a question, I am a digital immigrant. My students would certainly agree with me. Though I have in years past been allotted the privaledge of implementing technology via the Elmo, or the laptop and projector, this technology has not been as readily available to me as of yet at the site where I teach. I suspect that it will be within the next few years, as I have requested it. I have wittnessed the whiteboard being utilized and believe it could be an incredibly powerful tool, especially for those with learning disabilities. Though I have used some of these digital tools, I am very dependent on more tech savvy individuals to get them set up and explain the exact way to put them into operation.
I am comfortable doing very routine operations on the computer, and I do text on my phone. Furthermore, I have a Facebook account, and am comfortable with Instant Messenger. Truth be told, there are huge deficits in my digital/technological skillsets. Though I see the advantages to, and necessity of teaching with technology to effectively close the learning gap for my students, digital gadgets, games, and technology have never captured my attention. That being said, I have four children ranging in ages 10-15 who relish in the digital games, and all forms of available technology. I am very aware of how captivating digital media is for many children, and how some find it impossible to switch back to traditional learning effectually.
Though my students can plainly see that I struggle with technology, they are very impressed that I know how to text, or have a facebook account. They consider this novell in light of my "older" status. I, on the other hand have known for years that I should be systematically upgrading my digital and tech skills, but never found it engaging enough to pursue it. Of course, now that I am teaching, and understanding the multi-modal learning styles, I am interested in implementing more and more technology and digital media, or anything else which will buouy up my student's skill sets. In short, my philosophy has always been, I just want it(technology) to do, what I want it to do, when I want it to do it, and how I want it done! I will never be one who simply enjoys digital technology for entertainment like so many others.
Conversely, I tend to think that these changes in accessibility to technology often hinder the youth in multiple ways: in learning, in appropriate social development, and in their mental health. Anotherwords, though it can be a powerful teaching tool, it has significant detractions to consider. With the many hours our youth partake in the digital media daily, they are mentally fatigued from the constant stimuli. Furthermore, it has change the brains and thought patterns so that the students feel entitled to being entertained, and if something involves hard work, many will "check out" rather than trying. Furthermore, our youth are becoming socially challenged. With the protection of not interfacing, much more is shared, creating a delusion of having friendships, while they have very few relationships which only occur through spending time with someone and talking with them. Our youth lack the knowlege of different spheres of sharing based upon how well one knows another or trusts another. Finally, their mental health is compromised, because they replace real relationships for online or gaming relationships, thus becoming increasingly isolated and physically maladapted due to lack of proper excercise, allowing for additional stress. Finally, youth can be cruel and insensitive anyways, but without the body language, and facial feedback, the proliferation of bullying and psychological violence escalates substantially; depersonalization occurs. Being a person who loves to socialize and build relationships, this medium of conducting relationships has never appealed to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment